- Piotr Kajak, Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor
Second/foreign language acquisition; culture pedagogy in SLA/FLA; teaching Polish as a foreign/second/heritage language; popular culture in SLA; Polish popular culture; hip-hop culture; aca-fan approach.
Polish Language for Foreigners.
Polish Culture for Foreigners: Polish Popular Culture (in Polish, in English); Polish Cult Films (in Polish); Polish Popular Culture for Beginners (in English); Polish Blockbusters (in English, online).
Post-degree studies (Polish as a Foreign Language Acquisition).
Seminar for M.A. students.
Polish as a Foreign Language state examinations.
Ph.D., University of Warsaw, 2010
M.A., University of Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński, Warsaw, 2006 – Political Science
M.A., University of Warsaw, 2001 – Slavic Philology
Studied in Prague (Charles University). Completed a post-doc internship in London (University College London). Lectured in Bratislava (Comenius University), Leipzig, Budapest (ELTE), Potsdam, Barcelona, Vilnius, Tubingen (Eberhard Karl), Glasgow, Ostrava, New Delhi, Calcutta, Manipal, Daegu (Kyungpook National University), and Chengdu (Sichuan University).
Visiting Professor at the Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures, University of Toronto (2011-2014).
Thanks to his efforts, there was signed an agreement about the cooperation between Faculty of Polish Studies UW and Department of Slavic Languages, University of Toronto.
Member of the team which negotiated an agreement about the cooperation between UW and Sichuan University in Chengdu. In turn, both universities launched a double degree program (Polish Studies plus Economy or International Relations).
Takes part in the international projects of the Institute of International Relations UW and the Polish Association of International Studies – “Contemporary Poland and Central European Studies”.
Membership and Functions
– 2005/06 – director’s plenipotentiary for didactics;
– since 2012 – a member of the Polonicum’s Scientific Council;
– 2015/16 – director’s plenipotentiary for the preparatory courses;
– since 2016 – deputy director.
Faculty of Polish Studies:
– 2015/16 and 2016-2020 – member of the Faculty Council;
– since 2015 – Dean’s plenipotentiary for organizing of Polish as a Foreign Language state examinations at the University of Warsaw.
University of Toronto:
– 2012-2013 – acting chair of the Polish Program, Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures.
„Bristol” Association of Polish as a Foreign Language Teachers:
– for many years – a member of the peer tribunal;
– since 2016 – a member of the Board.
Member of the Canadian Association of Slavists.
State Commission for the Certification of Proficiency in Polish as a Foreign Language, Ministry of Science and Higher Education (Państwowa Komisja ds. Poświadczania Znajomości Języka Polskiego jako Obcego) :
– since 2006 – examiner;
– since 2015 – Dean’s (Faculty of Polish Studies) Plenipotentiary for organizing of Polish as a Foreign Language state examinations at the University of Warsaw.